Welcome to Artwell. My name is Ursula and I’m an accredited art psychotherapist working in the private and public sector under the name Artwell, a name which reflects the connection between art making and wellbeing. Having worked in community arts for 26 years and in art therapy for 7 years I know the potential that creativity has to transform lives.
It is a fact of modern life that the challenges and traumas we experience are not immediately looked at and we often choose to ‘sidestep’ the issues which can lead to patterns of suffering. Having experienced my own challenges, I know how this feels.
I work with a compassionate and nonjudgemental approach to support you in finding your way to:-
- make the changes that you want to see in your life
- work through feelings and behaviours that feel overwhelmingly difficult
- find a place of acceptance and calm during difficult transitions
- find your personal meaning of the challenges you are facing
Qualifications and Training
Art Therapy MA (1st Class Hons), CIT Crawford College of Art And Design
Fine Art BA, Centre for Creative Arts and Media, GMIT
Arts and Empowerment Facilitation, CIT Crawford College of Art And Design
Working Safely With Trauma, Certificate of Training, Babette Rothschild
STORM and ASSIST training, HSE
Parent-child Dyadic Art Psychotherapy, BAAT
Hearing Voices/ Paranoia, various trainings with School of Nursing and Midwifery, NUIG
Childline Telephone Counselling, ISPPC
- Adults – individuals and groups and within HSE Adult Mental Health Services
- Adolescents – individuals and groups, CAMHS In-patient and Community Mental Health
- Children – individuals and parent/child dyads and in national schools.
- Groups – Galway Simon Community, Cancer Care West, Cosáin, Youth Work Ireland, Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP), CAMHS.
I run a private practice from a studio on Prospect Hill in Galway city centre where I work with individuals, parent/child dyads and groups. My other work takes place out in the community in organisations, national schools and within the HSE mental health services.
I am the co-founder of Red Door Studio, an organisation which offer opportunities for positive change through creativity to individuals and groups. We run an open studio each week in Galway and work with groups of adults and young people. You can find out more about this initiative here.